Berkeley Electronic Press, Berkeley, CA . May 2004-Present
First creative hired by Bepress to lead standards-based design and implementation of all new and existing web front-end architectures. Responsible for all aspects of the user experience strategy and interface design process. Key stakeholder and contributor to every new customer-facing feature.
- Produced a wide range of deliverables to translate business requirements into user-centric web experiences, or to illustrate the more tactical aspects of site layout, navigation, application controls, content prioritization.
- Advocated for the end user to engineering team and the company at large.
- Consulted on any changes to information flow during the release cycle to ensure consistent UI for all products.
- Led every design and redesign initiative from concept to launch.
- Brought standards-based and accessible design to Bepress.
- Promoted the use and understanding of web standards within the company which continues to be one of the company’s key differentiators in the market today.
- Architected a centralized CSS-driven presentation framework that is scalable, yet customizable, across the entire suite of Bepress products and hundreds of domains.
- Led the company’s largest initiative from concept to completion: migrating 40 highly customized library repositories to the Digital Commons platform. Drove every aspect of the project from writing requirements for new reporting tools, defining the product road map based on data analysis, to setting in place specific workflows that defined individual tasks and cross-departmental handoffs.
- Hired, managed and mentored creatives, developers and customer service representatives.
- Developed original product and corporate brand identities and guidelines.
Ask Jeeves, Oakland, CA . Feb. 1999-Feb 2003
- Analyzed & reported web traffic trends for corporate clients such as: Chrysler, Cincinnati Bell, Iomega, Micron, Microsoft, Nortel Networks, Office Depot, State of Washington, Travelocity, US Navy, Verizon Wireless.
- Regularly partnered with sales directors for mocks, demos, and sales pitches.
- Trained new hires in all aspects of the Ask Jeeves’ technical solutions.
- Developed Knowledge Specialist documentation in HTML for migrating older client KBs.
Graduate Student Instructor
UC Berkeley, Berkeley, CA . 1996-1998
During my 2+ years as a GSI for 9 upper-division classes I learned that most students want to do good work. I also learned that not everyone performs alike within the often rigid and prescribed assignments of academia. I regularly encouraged those students to collaborate with me on finding alternate and creative ways to demonstrate their understanding of the course materials.
1996 English – B.A.
1996 Dutch Literature – B.A.
University of California, Berkeley